Discover your career path

College or University Faculty Member

Conduct college or university courses for students.

What does a College or University Faculty Member do?

Conducts college or university courses for undergraduate or graduate students: Teaches one or more subjects, such as economics, chemistry, law, or medicine, within prescribed curriculum. Prepares and delivers lectures to students. Compiles bibliographies of specialized materials for outside reading assignments. Stimulates class discussions. Compiles, administers, and grades examinations, or assigns this work to others. Directs research of other teachers or graduate students working for advanced academic degrees. Conducts research in particular field of knowledge and publishes findings in professional journals. Performs related duties, such as advising students on academic and vocational curricula, and acting as adviser to student organizations. Serves on faculty committee providing professional consulting services to government and industry. May be designated according to faculty rank in traditional hierarchy as determined by institution’s estimate of scholarly maturity as Associate Professor; Professor; or according to rank distinguished by duties assigned or amount of time devoted to academic work as Research Assistant; Visiting Professor. May teach in two-year college and be designated Teacher, Junior College; or in technical institute and be designated Faculty Member, Technical Institute. May be designated: Acting Professor; Assistant Professor; Clinical Instructor; Instructor; Lecturer; Teaching Assistant.