Maybe it’s the smell of an old book or the story inside that transports you to another time or place. Whatever it is, you’re a regular bibliophile. If you think the written word is man’s greatest accomplishment, spend your days supporting, creating, and preserving books with these seven jobs for book lovers.
1. Bookbinder — Working with different materials, like leather or cloth, you turn books from their loose leaf form into finished products.
2. Librarian — Much more than just shushing those who are making too much noise in the stacks, the job of a Librarian is to help others find the perfect summertime read or the most relevant piece of research for their latest paper.
3. Book Reviewer — Even within a specific genre, a reader has so many options that it can get a bit overwhelming. You read through first copies of books, gauging and judging things like the quality of the plot, prose, and character development.
4. Library Clerk, Talking Books — Not everyone who loves books can read them. And like the ending of the “Twilight Zone” episode, “Time Enough to Last,” that’s a cruel twist of fate. Luckily, there’s you! You select, mail, and queue up talking books for blind or sight-impaired patrons.
5. Book Conservator — No matter how good Harry Potter is, the classics can never be forgotten as the original texts that made us gasp, cheer, and cry. Book Conservators use modern technology as well as basics like glue and scissors to protect and preserve historic texts for future generations.
7. Writer — For some people, the best way to pay homage to books is to write one. Lay on the literary altar anything from nonfiction and fiction to novels and short stories to poetry and children’s books.
Careers You May Like
Discover new places and report on your travels for your readers.
Let drivers know about accidents and construction via radio or TV.
Spin memorable stories for TV audiences.
Make sure the details of a movie are consistent from scene to scene.
Manage staff and make sure the quality of the product being sewn is good.
Write scenes and plays for theater productions.
Translate medical jargon into detailed, but readable language.
Help update or create new dictionaries.
Condense a big idea into an eye-catching newspaper or website headline.
Think up meaningful verses for greeting cards.
Sell your well-researched stories to news outlets around the world.
Turn imaginative ideas into books or short stories.
Let your readers know about local environmental issues and trends.
Pen fantastic comic book stories.
Fix books that have suffered tears, stains and other types of damage.
Preserve and repair old, historic, or damaged books.
Master the art of storytelling to create books for others to read.
Write commentary and critiques about art.
Help Authors get published or sell movie rights to their work.
Investigate events and people to tell the public what's going on.
Select and buy books or other resources to create a well stocked library.
Prepare documents about technical information in a way so that people who have nontechnical backgrounds can understand it.
Find and manage bookings for Actors or Singers.
Maintain a prison library and inspire inmates through books.
Assist library patrons and support library functions.
Publish your thoughts and insights for online audiences.
Explore archives and databases to help people find what they need.
Create a brand identity through articles, videos, and other unique media.
Write anything from scripts or news to blogs or books.
Provide in-depth predictions about sports teams and players.
Write in-depth articles for magazines, papers, or websites.
Cover games and keep viewers in-the-know about sports news.
Write dialogue and directions for a motion picture.
Organize and maintain a library full of healthcare-related resources.
Write educational articles and quizzes to help students learn.
Write opinionated columns for a newspaper on a specific topic.
Research and write histories, biographies, and science books.
Help new Writers find their voice, an Agent and, ultimately, a Publisher.
Negotiate team contracts and endorsement deals for Athletes.
Report on scientific breakthroughs in print, the web, or TV.
Capture events, weddings, and small music videos on film.
Help people discover books and resources by managing a library's contents.
Market the works of Photographers, Illustrators, and other Artists.
Weave interesting characters and plots together to write best sellers.
Create texts for websites, papers, advertisements and more.
Keep a business financially afloat by taking charge of money matters.
Use words and rhymes to create poetry.
Make business decisions to maintain your celebrity clients' star status.
Write intriguing books to keep your readers in suspense.
Coordinate all aspects of putting on rocking concerts.
Create novels full of love, lust, and passion for your dedicated fans.
Organize the logistics of a touring concert, play, or dance show.
Create memorable product descriptions and catch-phrases for ads.
Write lyrics and catchy phrases to accompany melodies.
Guide artists toward decisions that enhance their careers.