Starting with the listed résumé sample, input your contact information and educational background in place of the sample provided. From there, replace the experience and other qualifications for the fictional professional’s with your personal history, utilizing the format provided.
The sample is simply meant as a guide; it is important that you alter the sample (significantly) to include your actual professional and educational background. Your uniqueness is what helps you stand out from the crowd. If you include a Career/Job Objective, make certain to identify the exact position you are applying for (e.g. To become a Nurse for the New York Children’s Hospital). For Nursing positions:
- Highlight specialized training you have and the medical settings in which you have worked (ER, primary care physician’s office, ICU, nursing homes, children’s wards, etc.). Also include a list of languages you are proficient in as bilingual nurses are in high demand.
- Specify ages and number of patients you have worked with in different jobs you have held.
- Identify coursework and completed certifications relevant to the nursing position being applied to. Also, the core training that nurses should have (e.g. CPR, AED, and Gatekeeper training) should be included as those skills are likely to be of use in any medical environment.
As for general responsibilities, nurses maintain a busy schedule of monitoring patients, administering medications/medical treatment, and updating records and physicians on the health of patients. Nurses are on the front lines of medical care and often provide patients and their families training in self-care. Nurses also help patients and families through moments of stress and relay messages between patients and physicians.
Check out how to integrate these skills in the nursing resume sample below:
Don’t forget to read our accompanying nursing cover letter samples here.
Nurse Resume (Text Format)
Jane Smith, RN
123 Whatever Street | Somewhere, NY 00000
555.555.5555 | email@example.com
West Seneca State College | West Seneca, NY (May 2017)
Bachelor of Science, Nursing
Registered Nurse, State of New York, 2016 – Present
West Seneca State College | West Seneca, NY (May 2015)
Associates of Applied Science, Nursing
SUMMARY OF QUALIFICATIONS
- Proficiency in conducting admissions assessments for ER patients.
- Clinical proficiencies include patient admissions, monitoring/recording patient vital signs, starting/maintaining IV access, IV Drips & therapy, and discharge.
- Adept at prioritizing care of patients on assigned floors and administering prescribed medications.
- Advanced training in CPR/AED. Certified QPR Gatekeeper Trainer; Certified Stress Management Coach.
Lancaster Central Hospital | Lancaster, NY (June 2017 – Present)
- Perform admission assessments for patients admitted through Emergency Room.
- Record and monitor patient vitals; collaborate with physicians and nursing staff to assure patients’ care plans are adhered to and adjusted as needed.
- Manage caseload of ten patients per shift; train patients and/or caretakers on treatment procedures for after discharge.
Buffalo Central Hospital | Buffalo, NY (March 2015 – May 2017)
- Conduct daily assessments of assigned patients. Maintain comprehensive records of observations of patients’ conditions.
- Update supervisors and physicians apprised of changes in patients’ conditions.
- Assisted Charge Nurse and RN’s in intake assessments for patients.
Buffalo Central Hospital | Buffalo, NY (October 2014 – February 2015)
- Shadowed RN’s in emergency room and intensive care units.
- Assisted in recording patient vitals and maintaining treatment records.
MS EXCEL, PowerPoint, and WORD; PEPID RN; ePocrates