For those seeking accounting jobs, it is critical to include a listing of specializations in the field you’ve had training in. Here are some best practices for when you are writing your accounting resume:
- In addition to coursework in Accounting Principles, training in financial and managerial accounting are important additions that help good candidates stand out.
- Forensics training in regards to accounting is a specialty that more and more corporations are seeking to help curb hacking and internal theft of funds from company and client accounts. Listing a forensic accounting course or even a minor could provide a new graduate with multiple great-paying jobs right after graduation.
- List accounting programs you are proficient in; ask department professors which programs are up and coming (and seek relevant training) as corporations will likely be seeking graduates familiar with state-of-the-art software.
- Knowing QuickBooks is important as many small businesses stick with that software due to its easy-to-use layout. Experience in records and accounts management is also something accounting majors should seek to acquire as soon as possible in early jobs.
Check out how to integrate these skills in the accounting resume sample below:
Don’t forget to read our accompanying accounting cover letter samples here.
Accountant Resume (Text Format)
123 Street | Somewhere, NY 00000
555.555.5555 | firstname.lastname@example.org
West Seneca State College | West Seneca, NY (May 2017)
Bachelor of Science, Accounting
SUMMARY OF QUALIFICATIONS
- Experienced in use of QuickBooks to manage payroll in small business settings.
- Advanced proficiency in use of Xero to manage client accounts, company payroll, and company expenditures.
- Training and supplemental coursework completed in Accounting Principles, Business Law, Financial Accounting, Forensic Accounting, and Management Accounting.
- Adept at account auditing and payroll management.
Bellwood Auto Repairs | West Seneca, NY (May 2017 – Present)
- Administer payroll for family-owned and operated collision shop.
- Manage purchasing of car parts, office supplies and technological equipment.
Ed’s Café | West Seneca, NY (February 2017 – May 2017)
- Assisted in administration of payroll and the disbursement of funds to purchase food and supplies for small restaurant.
- Helped in the installation of new accounting software (Xero), which helped company transition to paperless record keeping.
Seneca Family Restaurant | West Seneca, NY (September 2014 – May 2017)
- Aided in implementation of Xero for monitoring business expenses and revenue after first working with QuickBooks to administer payroll and purchasing. Served as accounting assistant from October 2016 – May 2017.
- Served as line and prep cook; trained new hires and assisted in supervision of staff.
MS EXCEL, PowerPoint, and WORD; QuickBooks; Xero